Thursday, March 11, 2010

How do I find who owns the rights to a painting?

I would like to produce and sell T-shirts and calendars of a specific artist. The artist has been dead for 30+ years. How do I find out who owns the rights to the art, so that I can get permission and pay royalties, if necessary? Additionally, how can I get good, clean digital images of well known art? Thanks.How do I find who owns the rights to a painting?
the estate of the artist or the gallery(s) the artist dealt with or other agents, so don't do anything with this project without first consulting with a copyright attorney.How do I find who owns the rights to a painting?
um. I don't know how you would. You would have to contact whoever is in charge of the estate now. If he hasn't been dead that long, then someone is probably still collecting money off of this kind of thing. If you are going to pay royalties to this person, I would think that you would collect the art images from their own collection. It is probably a museum or family member.


Find out where the have some paintings and call the gallery/museum and just ask them who holds the rights to the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment